The building was constructed around 1725 as an official residence. The stones for this were taken from the ruinous "Oberschloss". The predecessor building, first mentioned in 1670 as the "Oberamtshaus", was burned down during the French invasion in 1674.
During the Napoleonic era the estate became private property. It was returned to the municipality in 1826 and was converted into a schoolhouse. It served this function until the school was built in 1963.
Since then, after further reconstruction, the building has been used as the town hall of Kirrweiler.