Dorfgemeinschaftshaus "Edelhof"

Dorfgemeinschaftshaus "Edelhof"
Kirchstraße 20
67489 Kirrweiler

Phone : (0049) 6321 5079


Since the Middle Ages, namely from the year 1280 verifiably, Kirrweiler possessed a moated castle. At that time, the circular castle was located within the current wine-growing area of the Schwaab winery. The castle itself no longer exists. It was demolished during the turmoil of the French Revolution.

In the Middle Ages, the castle men (knights and ministerials) owned their houses in and near the castle complex. They were the nobles of Kirrweiler, as they were called at that time. Immediately south of the church stands the former guardhouse, whose landmarks are its arched friezes and the strong sandstone ashlars. Immediately adjacent to the former guard house is the former tithe barn, the entrances to which are still easily recognizable today. Further to the south, immediately after the later inserted winegrowers' homestead, there is the stately Edelhof building. This building was erected at the end of the 16th century. After the already mentioned nobles of Kirrweiler, the members of the bishop's administration later lived there. In the basement there were barns and stables. After the French Revolution with the end of the episcopal government, this building was then also sold to private individuals. The eastern half was later acquired by the municipality to house the Catholic sisters and the kindergarten. The western half was used as a vintner's house. The building used to be a so-called half-water castle. On the south side, the vaults open to the water are still recognizable today.

Today, the historic walls house the village community center of the municipality and the Edelhofrestaurant.

Related Links

opening hours