Burgruine Guttenberg


Tourist-Information Bad Bergzaberner Land

Tourist-Information Bad Bergzaberner Land
Kurtalstr. 27
76887 Bad Bergzabern

Phone : (0049) 6343 989660
Fax : (0049) 6343 989666


The origins of Guttenberg Castle are shrouded in mystery and are thought to date back to the 12th century. The first certain evidence is a mention in 1246, in which it appears among the imperial castles around the Trifels. The castle has had numerous owners: the Counts of Leiningen, the Electoral Palatinate, Lichtenberg and Palatinate-Zweibrücken. The Sickingen and Fleckenstein dynasties also held rights to the castle. It was destroyed by peasants from Lorraine during the Peasants' War in 1525. The first clearing and restoration work began at the end of the 19th century. Guttenberg Castle consists of an upper castle situated on the central rock and a lower castle leaning against it to the west. The remains of the keep stand in the middle of the narrow upper castle rock. There are also sparse remains of the curtain wall. The easiest way to reach the castle is from the "Drei Eichen" hiking parking lot near Böllenborn.

Related Links

opening hours