Trifels Castle

Annweiler am Trifels


Trifels, one of the most important imperial fortresses in the Staufer Empire, towers over the romantic little town of Annweiler. The castle was founded by the Salians, who built a wooden and stone castle. The Hohenstaufen dynasty expanded it into a stately imperial castle and made it the treasury of the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation. It also gained importance as a state prison for the English King Richard the Lionheart (1193-1194).

More information on the stories can be found at KuLaDig.

The Schlossäcker car park can be reached by car or by bus with line 527 via Annweiler am Trifels and Trifelsstraße.

On foot, the hiking trails "Annweilerer Burgenweg", "Pfälzer Weinsteig" and "Mönchsweg" lead to Trifels. Exciting for families is the "TrifelsErlebnisWeg", which connects the town and the castle with digital and analogue stations.

Please take into account the 25-minute walk from the Schlossäcker car park to the castle. Sturdy shoes are recommended.

Tickets are available on site at the castle entrance or online.

Related Links

opening hours