Its name is associated with the Latin word vigilia = guard. In the period 1360 - 1380, a tower was erected here, which was part of the town wall that had been created. In 1837, winery owner Johannes Fitz acquired the site, had the remaining tower stump demolished and built the Vineyard Temple on this site.
In 1860, Johann Georg Zumstein acquired the tower, which remained in the family until 1978. In 1978, Mr. Hans Philipp Zumstein donated his vineyard located on the Vigilienberg together with the vineyard temple to the Drachenfels Club. The club took the completely dilapidated little house into its care and by 1983 had renovated it so that it could once again be used for appropriate events.
At night the vineyard temple is illuminated. It has once again become a landmark of the town of Bad Dürkheim.