The initial history of this building is unknown. We only know that the house was built in 1580 and that is apparently served ecclesiastical purposes. In 1818 was the house bought by the bookbinder and librarian Nikolaus Scharpenet ( who in 1806 moved from Mannheim to Neustadt). Before Nikolaus Scharpenet bought the house, did it serve as a bakery and flour shop. His stepson, Philipp Christmann, took over the business in 1825 after receiving a book trade licence and operated his thriving bookstore from the location in 1828. He was a co-signatory of the invitation to the Hambacher Festival on 27 May 1832. On the eve of the Hambach Festival, people crowded in his bookstore to buy song lyrics and black-red-golden cockards. In 1836/1837 was the bookshop handed over to the bookseller August Hermann Gottschick and he retired from the public. Gottschick continued to run the bookstore until his death. His successor, Eduard Witter, took possession of the house in 1859 by marrying the widow Gottschick. The bookshop tradition founded by the Gottschick-Witter continued on to the 20th century by the booksellers Rocholl and Kennel. Hence the name of the house is even today known as in our days as „Kennel’s house“ Later on, the estate was bought by the Bückle family who ran a specialist shop for traditional costumes. Since 2006, the house has been owned by the Meininger family, who have extensively renovated the building and turned it into a restaurant and meeting place for wine lovers from all over the world. Daniel Meininger, the founder of the Meininger publishing house, was a the former chairman by the Association of Palatinate Scheffel Friends, gave the inauguration speech in 1928 at the erection of the Scheffelwarte, on the occasion of Scheffel's 100th birthday in the district of Haardt. This was to commemorate Scheffel's wine-loving poetry and his stays in the Palatinate, especially in Neustadt.