As in most cities ist he Town Hall in Neustadt an der Weinstraße one the most beautiful buildings in the city. In the past cities displayed their self-confidence through magnificent buildings. But the Town Hall of Neustadt has a slightly different history. The Town Hall was built in 1729 by the Jesuit Order and served as a college in order to combat the Reformation by means of Catholic education. However, the Order was so overzealous that it under pressure from several European rulers finally was dissolved by Pope Clement XIV in 1773. Thus it happened that the Jesuits disappeared in some Catholic countries while they continued to be tolerated in some other independent of the Pope. Today, much of the city's administration is housed in the Town Hall. The courtyard can be visited all year around where also occasional events take place in the yard. (e.g. church services or the Kunigunde Christmas market).