The municipality of Billigheim is one of the oldest municipalities in the Southern Palatinate. It had its first documentary mention in 639.
In 1468, under Elector Frederick the Victorious, Billigheim became a fortress surrounded by a city wall with three defensive gates.
The still preserved "Upper Gate", the landmark of Billigheim, and also remains of the city moat testify to the time in the Middle Ages and remind of the original course of the city wall.
Today, the "Upper Gate" houses a small wine bar.