The pilgrimages were always held on 29 September, the name day of St Michael. The pilgrims wanted to obtain forgiveness for their sins by buying indulgence letters. As early as 1155, the "Monte sancti Michaelis" was mentioned in a document. The large number of people attracted more and more farmers and winegrowers, who transported their goods to the Michaelsberg with wheelbarrows and offered mainly wine, sausage and bread.
The old St. Michael's Chapel was torn down as early as 1601, but since 1990 the Michelsberg has again been adorned by a new chapel, built from donations by Dürkheim citizens, which is intended to commemorate the origins of the sausage market.