It was built in 1344 by the citizens for the Beguines living nearby. In the choir, there are depictions of the Stations of the Cross from the time of construction with the medieval anti-Judaic depiction of the Jewish population as "Christ killers". After the fortress was built, it became a garrison church. To the left and right of the chancel are gravestones of fortress commanders. From the 17th to the 19th century, it had various functions within the fortress (wine store, prison). Today it is a municipal building and serves as a church for the Old Catholic and the independent Evangelical Lutheran congregations.