A protective cave is embedded in the tower-like structure on the south side. To complete the complex, a relief of the emperor was added in 1898. This relief disappeared one day. In 2003, a new relief was made by an artist from Dürkheim and reinstalled. At the beginning of 2004, a number of trees were felled on the west side, and now there is again a magnificent view of the Limburg from the top of the tower.
The Drachenfels Club restored the masonry of the tower in 1976. Several groups of benches were put up. From the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Höhe, a level high-level path leads to the viewing platform of the Kriemhildenstuhl.