The flag tower was built in 1854 on the dome of the Fuchsmantel southwest of Bad Dürkheim. This was made possible by donations from the town's citizens, who wanted to create an attraction with this structure in the then burgeoning Solbad.
The two-storey polygonal building in neo-Gothic style has an eight-sided ground plan. The open domed hall on the ground floor has sandstone benches and four lancet windows, which used to be colourfully glazed and symbolised spring, summer, autumn and winter. A narrow exterior sandstone staircase leads to the circumferential exterior platform. It is surrounded by battlements and open to the public. In the slimmer part of the tower, a spiral staircase leads to the upper platform with the flagpole.
The flag tower was looked after for many years by the Drachenfels Club, then by the town, and passed into the ownership of the Drachenfels Club at the beginning of 2002. In the summer of 2004, the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the "Kaffeemühlchen" was celebrated with an atmospheric birthday party.