When the previous church, St. Laurentius, above the village became dilapidated, the baroque church in Ilbesheim was built under the rule of the Dukes of Palatinate-Zweibrücken in the years 1717-1719. Inside the church there are memorial plaques for the fallen of the world wars. The old church of St. Lawrence is believed to have been built in the 10th century, as it was dedicated to Saint Lawrence, who was particularly venerated during this time. Furthermore, it is assumed that the church was an important pilgrimage site in the middle of the 14th century. The stones of the old church were used to build the new one.
The church is one of the cultural monuments of the place.