South of the St. Germanshof, just before the French border and directly on the road, the European monument is located on the so-called "Europawiese". Twelve stelae are arranged in a circle around a four-part fire roundabout in which the European fire burned in 1950.
Remembering a courageous act of young convinced Europeans There were hundreds of students from nine European countries. On August 6, 1950, just five years after the end of world war II, in which the Germans and French had faced each other as enemies, they peacefully stormed the tightly controlled german-French border at Weiler-St. Germanshof. The people could only watch powerlessly as the youngsters on both sides lifted the trees out of their hinges and ignited a European fire. But the students' willingness to unite was not only expressed in this symbolic act. Their ideas of a united Europe were also manifested in three concrete demands, which they formulated on the day before a meeting of the Council of Europe in Strasbourg: a European Parliament, a European Constitution and a European passport – these were their ambitious goals, even from today's point of view. Twelve sandstone stilts arranged in a circle are supplemented by three flagpoles flying the German, French and European flags, as well as a trilingual information board establishing a place of remembrance.