The dahn cemetery was built by the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsoge e.V. in the years 1950-1952. The city of Dahn and the Catholic parish provided the site. Planning and construction management were transferred to Professor Daniel Thulesius of the Techn. University in Braunschweig. He has also built the Way of the Cross between the spa park and the honorary cemetery (above). The relief panels of the 14 Stations of the Cross were created and donated by Prof. Jakob Hofmann from Braunschweig.
In the cemetery of honour, 2,400 war dead found their final resting place. During the Second World War, heavy fighting took place in the Vosges and the Palatinate, and many of the dead were buried on the side of the road and in the forest. The People's League was concerned to create a dignified resting place for these fallen. The graves were beautifully laid out on five terraces. Each grave is marked with a clay plaque on which the grave number, name, date of birth and death of the fallen man are recorded, as far as this could be determined.
Above the burial ground stands the St. Michael's Chapel, built in the 16th century.