Edesheimer Dorfmühle

Edesheim

Description

The village mill was first mentioned in an archive in the 14th century, but it is said to have existed as early as the 11th century. During this time, it was owned by the Speyer diocese and the Edesheim castle estate, but private individuals were also among its owners. The village mill has been in the family since its acquisition by Jean Rehm in 1932. Initially, the business was leased out, but in 1948, after retraining from merchant to miller, Eugen Rehm took over the mill and ran it until his death in 1987. When he took over the business, the mill was modernized. Among other things, the millstones were replaced by roller mills. The elevator, the oat crusher, and the sharpening and hulling machine were built as early as 1870. It specialized in the production of rye flour, which, in addition to being sold to end consumers, was also supplied to bakers in Edesheim. In the 1960s, a large silo building with wooden silo cells was erected in order to create a second mainstay with the grain trade. In order to be able to process the now much larger grain deliveries, an intake for loose grain was installed, connected to elevators that could transport the grain first to a sieve cleaning system, then over an automatic scale and finally directly into the silos. In total, over 300 tons of grain could be stored. As early as 1920, the top-bladed water wheel was replaced by a much more powerful turbine. In 1966, a new turbine was installed, which, after a thorough renovation in 2001, still supplies a large part of the energy to operate the mill today using the water from the Modenbach stream. Since the death of Eugen Rehm, our mill no longer grinds. However, we still accept regional grain in the summer. We then process this into rolled oats for horses and into chicken feed. Of course, there are always small things to be repaired or drive belts to be renewed. Apart from that, the machines from the period between 1870 and 1960 are still in use today, although not as regularly as in the past. The grain silos, some of which are now no longer needed, were removed in 2010 and this part of the building was converted to residential use.

Related Links

opening hours