Count Palatine Johann Casimir founded in 1578 a Calvinist theological college here as an alternative location for the then Lutheran University of Heidelberg. The oldest part was built as early as 1475 and served as an Augustinian convent. The convent was probably inhabited by Beguines. In the course of the 19th century, the tradition of the Casimirianum was developed into a school. At the beginning of the 19th century, the Elector Ruprecht Secondary School, the oldest secondary school in the city, was founded on the basis of a Latin school. The other secondary schools in Neustadt did not come into being until more than a hundred years later. After its restoration towards the end of the 20th century is the Casimirianum is mainly used as the parish hall of the collegiate church and for cultural and private events.